Listen to episode 24:
In the second show of the third decade of the second millennium, Mat talks about the supply chain and coping with changing consumer interests, Jamie gets Sports Direct and JD Sports royally mixed up, and neither of them can agree on a quote by the 20th century’s greatest fighter.
Christmas pudding sales slump in challenging festive period
- Sales of Christmas puddings were down 16% according to market research group Kantar
- Morrisons reported a fall in sales of 1.7% suggesting that consumers are now shopping elsewhere
- In the month before Christmas, Aldi reported a rise of 7.9% in sales and sold 55 million mince pies
From JD Sports to Games Workshop: best market performers of decade
- The Guardian has done some research on the best FTSE 100 market performers of the last 10 years
- A £1,000 stock investment in JD sports 10 years ago would see a return of £327,000 return today
- Rightmove saw a 1,230% increase, The London Stock Exchange rose 1130% and development companies also did well
- Tesco came at the bottom of the list with -21%
- Banks such a RBS and Barclays also suffered
In this new segment, we look at unique business models and see why they work so well.
This week's business is Shoeblast! – the smart shoe care system
- They've created a gadget that stops old trainers smelling bad
- The Shoeblast deodorises, removes moisture and uses UV light kill 99.9% of fungus and bacteria
- In Jamie's words 'you stick this light-heaty thing into your shoe, and that eliminates the odour!'
- If you have a business that you think would be great for us to feature, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brilliant or bonkers
“The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus.”
– Bruce Lee
Music: John Hall | Death of Lovers
Jamie Maddison is Head of Content Marketing at iwoca. He's written for a range of publications including Lonely Planet, Geographical, Diplomat, and Hidden Europe – and is the host of the ‘9 to when?’ podcast.
Article updated on: 9 January 2020