Listen to episode 16
In an after-hours special, Jamie explains word of mouth marketing for small businesses, Mat goes growth, growth, growth with the government’s new grant and they both look into one very specific line of Shakespeare’s Hamlet, but are they overthinking it?
- Government announces £35m fund to grow rural businesses
- 546 businesses have benefited from this scheme so far, totalling £99m and creating around 4,000 jobs
- The government is reducing the minimum grant you can apply for to £20,000
- Details are on the .gov website through the Rural Payments Agency section
- James Dyson Award: Fish-scale plastic and self-disinfecting door handle could net award for top invention
- Twenty shortlisted international inventions have been put forward for the 2019 James Dyson Awards
- Sumo: A Swiss-made, biodegradable, reusable nappy made from antibacterial eucalyptus fibres and algae extracts
- 17 million nappies are disposed of across Europe everyday
- Gheko Tracks: A low cost tyre that can be clipped to wheelchair wheels to help wheelchair users navigate tricky terrains
- Peritone X: Device designed to facilitate at home kidney dialysis
- Cocoon (winner): Smart epileptic seizure protection and alert device that allows people to put it on when they experience the aura before a seizure, triggering alerts to carers if it lasts longer than 5 minutes
- Self sanitising door handle
- The complete guide to creating customers with word of mouth
- Can you influence word of mouth marketing?
- Talk Triggers: How can you come up with ways to get people to talk about you
- Long term: how can you build it into your systems and processes
- Doctor Snip: Gives every patient who he gave a vasectomy a penknife with his name on it
Brilliant or bonkers?
“And thus the native hue of resolution is sicklied o’er with the pale cast of thought.”
Modern translation – does overthinking inhibit action?
Looking for straightforward explanations about the world of business finance?Explore our guides
You might enjoy listening to more iwoca podcasts:
- Episode 16 – Government grants, self-cleaning door handles and Hamlet
- Episode 15 – Email marketing, anti-nightmare mist and the spy, Coco Chanel
- Episode 14 – Business theft, flying taxis and the origins of cynicism
- Episode 13 – Dishwasher whisky, SEO and George Mallory
- Episode 12 – Sno-flex, retiring retirement, and the fastest man in Raynes Park
- Episode 11 – Clam pillows, Hunter S. Thompson, and the beauty of being unique
- Episode 10 – Vampire plastic, disappearing banks and Dante’s 9th circle of bonkers
- Episode 9 – Rockit rockers, Ernest Hemingway, and did someone say recession?
- Episode 8 – Railways guardians, off-road high heels and Abe Lincoln